Friday, February 15, 2008

Welcome

This blog will be a work in progress for a little while. While baseball goes through Spring Training, so will this blog - and hopefully both will be ready for the regular season. But, as an introduction, and to get a foundation going...

I grew up in New England (RI and MA) and have been a Red Sox fan since roughly 1970. I follow the season closely, and I attend about a dozen Red Sox games a year. In addition to being a fan, I (until recent retirement) have been a baseball player for many years, solely at the amature level. In addition to playing as a kid, I also played as an adult for three seasons in Australia, followed by nine seasons in the Boston area. In Australia I was a starting shortstop, and in the U.S. I was a starting outfielder and second baseman. I retired because my body literally began giving out due to old age and wear and tear. The first sign was a severed rotator cuff, and it went down hill from there.

So, that gives a little background on my perspective. I love the sport, am an avid fan, and love to play the game. As a fan, I love to follow the game. In doing so I leverage my perspective as a former player which helps me see the game for what it really is. I also take the perspective of a passionate and LOYAL fan and teammate. So, I tend to see the game from a more logical, rational perspective than we are inundated with from the media. The media hype can sure be entertaining, but it can get people obsessed about meaningless tidbits and become too obsessed with non-important issues.

What I want to do here, is share my insights and perspective. We'll try to get through the hype and hysteria, remain loyal and supportive, and see the game for what it really is. When your team loses, it is not an attempt to ruin your day (although it might). When a player struggles, he is still on your side (ex: JD Drew - 2007) and fighting for us. The only thing you can be certain of is that baseball is a roller coaster of a ride. Some days a player can't do anything wrong. Every pitch looks like a soft toss, every throw is on the mark, and every instinct just clicks. But, the very next day, he might go 0 for 5 with 2 errors. That's just the way it is. A tremendous batter fails 65% of the time. Failure is integral to the game. The players know and truly accept that. Most fans know that, but have a hard time truly accepting that.

Well, Sox fans have had a lot to be happy this century. Ever competitive teams, regular playoff appearances, exciting players, tremendous fan interest, all topped off with 2 dominating World Series Championships. As we get into Spring Training, let's start getting warmed up to the team and follow along. Should be an exciting year.

We have not had much off season activity, so what catches my interest heading into Spring Training? Honestly? Youth. That will be an initial focus - how is the tremendous farm system coming along - and how will that complement and add to a Championship team?

Are you ready?

No comments: