Friday, October 24, 2008

Playoff Game Times

When "your team" is in the playoffs, game times may be challenging but are never an obstacle. They could start at 2:00 AM, and you'd find a way to watch them. But, with my team, the Red Sox, out of the picture, my outside life and sanity begins to take more precedent, and the World Series is a fun thing to watch and be a part of, but not worth serious sacrifice.

In other words, why the hell do they need to run so late? I know - prime time. So tell me, does prime time cover the hours after 11:00 PM (All times are EST unless otherwise specified)? No. So, do they expect viewers and high priced ads after, let's say, midnight? Games are generally starting right around 8:00, but some at 8:30. The is the very beginning of prime time, and then the games run well after prime time. Throughout the entire season, east coast games started at 7:00 PM. We have two east cost team in the World Series. How about starting the games at 7:00, like we are used to? What about a game during hours that kids could watch?

The most exciting and thrilling part of a playoff game is the end, especially for a game 7. Nothing is more thrilling. But, if that ends at 12:30 in the morning, millions of people who would love to see it will miss out. I'd love to see the Phillies celebrating on the field after a stunning game 7 win in the 12th inning. But, guess what? I'll have been in bed long before. This is not "my team" and I have to work in the morning.

So, what about starting games at 7:00? They should end around 10:30-11:00. They would start prior to prime time, and cross right through it? What about the West Coast? Hmm, what do I look like, a programming genius? But, why skew east coast games? Why not let the game time favor the home team for each game?

Meanwhile, the series is all tied up at one game each. The Phillies had tremendous opportunities to win the second game, but they could not hit with runners in scoring position. Hmm, could be Rays pitching, because they did a similar thing to the Red Sox. The Phillies continually got the Rays against the ropes, but failed to land any damaging blows.

But, against the Dodgers, the Phillies looked vulnerable until they got home. So, don't be surprised the comforts of the home park help them light up the scoreboard. Looking for some real excitement and drama in this one.

7 comments:

Suldog said...

You'd think they could at least have day games - or twilight games - on Saturday and Sunday. No, too much money invested in football then. Sad, Rooster. I know one of the reasons I'm such a big baseball fan is because I got to see World Series games during the day. I remember watching Dodgers-Twins ('65?) that way, at least.

Rooster said...

Very true. When I was a kid, the WS was magical. Today, kids can barely see any of it! That's not right at all.

Olde Town Glory said...

I have to agree that the game times are a bit ridiculous. I'm catching up on a lot of sleep now that I don't have to stay up until 1 or 2 in the morning watching games. And after Game 5 it wasn't like I was going to sleep any time soon after the game ended either.

Rooster said...

OTG - it is just not right that the plan actually expects games to end after midnight on a regular basis. I just don't get that.

Last night's fiasco does not help my nerves either! For the love of the game!

Anonymous said...

Too much more money..



income

Anonymous said...

Hey, rational red sox fan you can kiss my un-rational ass. Your comment about not being a programming genius is not appreciated. You smart mouthed punks always hide behind the internet. I'd love to meet you man to man you peice of dung!

1

Rooster said...

Hey "anonymous", go back and finish high school, will you?

1) The post you are commenting on was about the 2008 world series and was posted a year ago.

2) You don't appreciate my comment that I am not a programming genius? You don't like it that I think I am not a programming genius? Huh?

3) Aren't you hiding behind "Anonymous". Show yourself - you brave man.